Sunday, October 16, 2011

Blog post #8

This is How We Dream/Teach: The first video I watched began by talking about the traditional way of learning. It showed a library and books. It spoke of publishing paper copies and other traditional things. Then Richard Miller speaks of a new way for learning: Multimedia. One great part of this multimedia is that it is never checked out and can therefore be shared always.
He calls it "Sharing knowledge infinitely". Now not only can we learn by sight, but we can learn by many other senses as well. Print, sound and visual learning can all be combined into only one document. The speaker gives a great quote when speaking on becoming a multimedia teacher. "This is the idea to push forward our learning. Why wouldn't we be on the front line for that?" What a great point! I feel that I am on the fast track to being able to teach multimedia. Then my students will also be able to use multimedia to its fullest.

I very much enjoyed Cary’s blog post. She showed great amounts of creativity by suggesting a You-tube playlist as the assignment. She states in her post that “good teachers teach by example.” This statement is much related to Richard Miller’s ideas in his video How we dream, parts 1& 2. I think the idea of doing videos for an assignment is fantastic. My mom loved how one of our assignments was a book trailer and she is going to try to start making them for her class. She even said that her kids pay so much more attention to anything that deals with a computer. Videos would be a great assignment for students.

I enjoyed the Chipper series and I thought that the EDM310 for dummies video was absolutely hilarious, but I definitely felt like I could relate. This semester in EDM310 hasn’t been easy by any means. I totally wish this book would get published because I would have definitely read it before taking this class. If I could create a video it would be called Freshman 15 for Dummies. I would talk about my experiences and how I gained my freshman 15lbs. Admit it, we all have probably put on a few pounds since the beginning of high school. I would also talk about ways to prevent gaining the freshman 15 and how to stay at a healthy weight.
Dummies man
Learning to Change: One of the first arguments made was that children enjoy their time more outside of school because then they can access technology resources. If we want children to enjoy school then technology needs to be incorporated. I know that classrooms in Mobile County have smart boards and computers, so the availability of technology is definitely there. I also agree with the point made that technology isn’t a choice. This is the way people learn today and it has to be introduced and used in the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Courtney! I think you stated the most important point of the post: Technology isn't a choice. At least not anymore. And that's the point of a lot of the assignments in EDM310, that technology not only has the metaphorical market cornered, but it now is the market. Technology shapes the way we do things, and it's not a stretch to think that it should be a part of education as well. Good job thinking critically and finding ways to relate to the post! Keep up the good work!
    Carly

    ReplyDelete